Originally sent 4-27-2016
We are posting all of our letters we wrote to friends and family from the first trip we took to explore what the Lord has for us in Ireland, so you can get a glimpse of our journey from the beginning. This was the 4th email sent.
Today we look at the calendar and have 3 weeks till we are on a plane, heading to Ireland. It’s a bit surprising, to be honest. We’ve been looking forward to this time for months, and it’s almost here. At the same time exciting and fun.. and a little bit daunting. We’ve seen the Lord working many times over as we’ve prepared for this step of faith. From the multiple Scripture confirmations we’ve been given throughout the process (Genesis 12:1, Romans 4:1-4 and Ephesians 2:10b to name a few) to bringing people into our lives to encourage us to financially providing for us (by suddenly giving Gary his job back in the fall after he’d resigned and even hired his replacement). We have been preparing, and now we are ready to go!
For those who have started this journey with us last fall, or this year – thank you for your prayers. Truly- we covet your prayers more than you could possibly know. We need your prayers for there will be things we aren’t expecting that will come at us. We already have noticed spiritual warfare. Nothing dramatic or seriously hard hitting, but no less insidiously dangerous that we have been aware we need to keep our defenses up (Ephesians 6:10-18, 1 Corinthians 10:3-5) and remember who we are truly fighting against (Ephesians 6:12).
We will be flying out the 3rd week of May, have a couple of days to get settled and get over the jet lag and we’ll be starting right in with a Marriage ministry that is holding an event in Galway on the 25th. We look forward to what the Lord has for us in that event as soon as we arrive.
We do have several things we are praying over at this time:
- Safe travel
- Provision of a vehicle – we’ve decided it will be cheaper to purchase a vehicle rather than rent. But we have to wait till we arrive in Ireland to make the purchase. We believe the Lord will continue to provide. Please be in prayer that it is a reliable, sturdy vehicle that comfortably fits our family.
- For the effectiveness of our work, that the Irish people can see our love for one another (John 13:35)
- That we are a blessing to the Pastor we are coming alongside – Jess and his wife Rebecca.
- That our children find friends they enjoy and connect with – both with Jess’ kids as well as the Irish kids in Galway.
- Safety and health of our children. Please pray that we are able to put this fear away (2 Timothy 1:7) and Trust the Lord to take care of our kids.
- For my co-workers while I am gone. Several are stepping up and really sacrificing to cover my position so that it is possible for me to step back into my position when we return. They will all be putting in long hours and added stress to make this happen. I am very grateful to them all.
We also wanted to follow up on the question of financially helping on this missions trip. In our last letter we invited you to contact us if you wanted to donate. That’s uncomfortable to some and those who asked we told we were waiting for confirmation ourselves. We are happy to say that all donations this summer will be able to go through Galway Ministries. If you believe the Lord as leading you to donate, you can mail checks to:
Please put Betts family on the memo line and they will be able to direct the funds to us while we are there. Thank you! And always remember- we covet your prayers above all else!
Finally- This is the last update we’ll be sending directly via e-mail. We are setting up a blog as well as a more official email system that allows people to subscribe and unsubscribe as they desire.
As always- thank you for being part of our journey and especially for praying for us. We are exciting to see what the Lord has for the next chapter in our lives!